Skip to main content

What stole your Joy?


In an effort to blog more, I am going to cut down on my Instagram page and try to make more time for writing here:)  Half the time my post are longer than a typical Instagram post, so if I take a little more time, I think I can keep up more regularly with my blog:) 


Recently I wrote down some thoughts on joy, I thought I would share them...
"When we have "lost" our joy, one thing to ask ourselves is, what is stealing our joy? Is it an issue, a thing or even a person, that we are allowing to steal our joy? Once we have thought about this, we need to give this thing, issue or even person, to the Lord and not try to take it back again later. If we can trust the Lord with salvation, can we not trust Him with this thing? We can not find joy in the things of this world; our joy can only be found in Jesus. When we are fully concentrating on our Lord, the things of this world can not enter our mind and thoughts, and therefore, can not steal our joy. 
I suppose it is possible to let our desire for something steal our joy. But if we desire something (obviously if we desire it, we do not have it) we should take that desire to God. Ask Him to help us discern whether or not this thing is good for us, whether or not it is in His will for us to have it. If the answer if yes, give it to God. He can provide it for us much better than we ever could. And His timing is always just right. And if the answer is no, give it to Him and realize that if we still desire it, we are desiring something that is less than the best for us. If we want to have true joy, we must be abiding in the source of joy...which is the Lord. Psalm 16:11 says, "You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy...." "

So those are some thoughts I wrote down recently regarding my joy in the Lord. I definitely have days, and sometimes weeks where I feel like there is nothing to be joyful about. But when I reflect on those days, I realize my thoughts were not on the Lord like they should have been. Of course, sometimes it has been because the Lord is bringing issues in my life to the surface and asking me to let Him deal with them. And when I let Him deal with them, it hurts, but my joy is restored. I  hope these thoughts are as encouraging to you as they have been for me!  Focus on the Lord fully...fully abide in Him...ask Him to show you what has stolen your joy. And whatever it is, give it to Him...I know it can be hard for me to do that sometimes, and then I want to take it back. But that's like inviting a thief back into my home, to steal valuable things. I have to remind myself that the only way to "get my joy back" is to turn to Jesus, because He is the source of my joy. 

 I know life circumstances are often hard and I can get discouraged, but I know that in those times, are when we need to focus on Jesus even more! So cheer up...and focus on our Lord Jesus! If it were not for Him, there would be no reason to rejoice! 
Until next time,
Elise 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing unnoticed

Sometimes it seems like life moves very slowly, and other times it seems that it moves very quickly. It seems that the opposite of what I want, happens. If I wish for it to move slowly, it moves quickly, and if I wish it would move quickly, it moves slowly. Nevertheless, the past 5 months have come and gone like a flash. I can hardly believe January is almost over. I realize that there may be very few people who read my blog; perhaps a lot of that has to do with how infrequently I write. ;) But I was thinking about what I might blog about and looking through pictures... I guess it is really the little things that make up a beautiful life. It's the little things everyday that make fond memories. I tend to be so task oriented that I forget to stop and notice the dew drops on the flower, the frost patterns on the window, the unique sunrise... the smiles which are flashed at me every day. And then- suddenly these precious times are gone. It's a new stage of life, the things we

A Child's Reminder

On the way home from church one Sunday, a little girl said to here mom, " Mom, our Sunday school teacher said God is big enough to hold the world in His hands, is that true?" Her mom answered, "Yes, dear." Then the little girl turned to her Daddy, "Daddy, our teacher also said that if we ask Him to, Jesus will live inside us. Is that true too?" "Yes, Honey." Her Daddy nodded. "And God and Jesus are the same person, right?" The little girl added. "Yes, that's right." Her Daddy answered. "Well, if Jesus is so big that He can hold the world in His hand, but He can also live in me, and I am so small, why doesn't He show through?" WOW! If you take that question and think about it differently... Christ should be showing through us! We are broken vessels and His light needs to be shining through our cracks. Think about what that little girl was asking, in a indirect way.  She didn't even realize the trut

Welcome Autumn!

Autumn....it's my favorite season of the year! Colors changing, weather cooling, my birthday, apple cider, pumpkin and apple pies, leaves falling, crisp air, camping, apple butter...so many things I love about Autumn! I love to go walking outside when the leaves are changing colors...when the air is getting crisper. And then, God knew I would love Autumn so much, he gave me a birthday in my favorite season:) So that's a big plus too:) Thank you Lord for such a wonderful season! And also, thinking about my birthday- thank you so much for giving me life! And another day to live. Thank you for Your love and mercy! You are so precious! Teach me to love You more! And that is what Virginia looks like in Autumn...but not until October;) I found these pictures online;) So enjoy your Autumn!  Until next time, Elise