Skip to main content

Thoughts from a Wintery Day









As beautiful as this snow is, I was reminded of something even more beautiful tonight. I was thinking about all the children who don't have a good home, or worse, no home at all, and want to be loved so bad. The only person who can fix those children's problems is Jesus, through me and you. 
As I thought about what I wanted to do after graduation this past year, the thought that kept coming to me seemed so simplistic, "I just want to help needy, and hurting people." And I prayed that God would use me to do that, somehow, someway. But as I was thinking about all the hurt in this world, and at the time, particularly for children in foster care and such, it made me angry that the government is so controlling and won't let those who truly care, do what the children really need. And for some reason, John 15:35 came to mind,"Jesus  wept", and that may sound like such a random verse, but my train of thought gave that verse a renewed meaning. Jesus wasn't weeping because Lazarus died...He was weeping because of all the hurt and grief our sin brough into this world. And then I thought about the fact that it doesn't matter how hard I work, there will always be hurting people in this world. But...with God's help, that will never ever stop me from ministering to the needs of those around me and striving on, pressing upward to be the hands and feet of Christ. Then this thought struck me, and truly, I had never really thought about it before, even though that may be shocking to you. If I am following Christ, and doing what He has for me to do, it doesn't matter what He has me do, where He has me go, or how He has me do it, I will be ministering to the needy, and the hurting. Because that is part of my calling as His child; to spread the good news to those who don't know, to be Jesus' hands and feet...And that takes on many different shapes and forms. That was such an encouraging thought to me. Whether I get married and raise a family of warriors for the kingdom, or start an orphanage for the many children who need Jesus' love, or become a pastors wife, or stay single and minister to other women, or work with needy people over seas, whatever I do, as long as I am following where God leads me, I will ministering to needy and hurting people. And that is what I want to do. It seems it is such a simplistic thought...but it was like a match in my heart. And as much as I desire to be used by God, that doesn't have to be "once I get married, or move out," or whatever...
God has given me my own mission field right here, right now, that's where I have been called. I must be investing in my siblings lives and the friends He's given me, so that they can better be what God wants them to be, so that they can minister to those who He wants to place in their lives. I won't always be at home in this field, in fact, it's going to change soon. But right now, and right here is where I am, and I must make the most of it because I won't have this opportunity again. We must take advantage of where God has us. In our work place, in our homes, in our church...there is someone God wants to to minister to right there in your circle. If we are not "in tune" with God, we won't see the opportunities that He gives us. 
That is such a powerful thought to me...I hope it's encouraging to you as well. 
Until next time, 
Elise

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing unnoticed

Sometimes it seems like life moves very slowly, and other times it seems that it moves very quickly. It seems that the opposite of what I want, happens. If I wish for it to move slowly, it moves quickly, and if I wish it would move quickly, it moves slowly. Nevertheless, the past 5 months have come and gone like a flash. I can hardly believe January is almost over. I realize that there may be very few people who read my blog; perhaps a lot of that has to do with how infrequently I write. ;) But I was thinking about what I might blog about and looking through pictures... I guess it is really the little things that make up a beautiful life. It's the little things everyday that make fond memories. I tend to be so task oriented that I forget to stop and notice the dew drops on the flower, the frost patterns on the window, the unique sunrise... the smiles which are flashed at me every day. And then- suddenly these precious times are gone. It's a new stage of life, the things we

A Child's Reminder

On the way home from church one Sunday, a little girl said to here mom, " Mom, our Sunday school teacher said God is big enough to hold the world in His hands, is that true?" Her mom answered, "Yes, dear." Then the little girl turned to her Daddy, "Daddy, our teacher also said that if we ask Him to, Jesus will live inside us. Is that true too?" "Yes, Honey." Her Daddy nodded. "And God and Jesus are the same person, right?" The little girl added. "Yes, that's right." Her Daddy answered. "Well, if Jesus is so big that He can hold the world in His hand, but He can also live in me, and I am so small, why doesn't He show through?" WOW! If you take that question and think about it differently... Christ should be showing through us! We are broken vessels and His light needs to be shining through our cracks. Think about what that little girl was asking, in a indirect way.  She didn't even realize the trut

Welcome Autumn!

Autumn....it's my favorite season of the year! Colors changing, weather cooling, my birthday, apple cider, pumpkin and apple pies, leaves falling, crisp air, camping, apple butter...so many things I love about Autumn! I love to go walking outside when the leaves are changing colors...when the air is getting crisper. And then, God knew I would love Autumn so much, he gave me a birthday in my favorite season:) So that's a big plus too:) Thank you Lord for such a wonderful season! And also, thinking about my birthday- thank you so much for giving me life! And another day to live. Thank you for Your love and mercy! You are so precious! Teach me to love You more! And that is what Virginia looks like in Autumn...but not until October;) I found these pictures online;) So enjoy your Autumn!  Until next time, Elise