Skip to main content

How quickly my focus shifts to others...(not what you may think)


While at work today, I was a little bored, and I wanted to read. I always bring my Bible in my bag I take to work, so I figured I would read that:) I decided to read the proverb of the day (proverbs 9). Proverbs 9 talks about wisdom and foolishness. It speaks of how you will only hurt yourself by rebuking a scoffer. But if you instruct a wise man, he will love you. As I thought about that- the thought came to mind that I knew a few people who should read that passage. But the Lord quickly showed me my own heart attitude. Woe is me that I should think that so quickly! How do I respond when others point out foolishness in my own life? Or do others not point it out because I have shown myself to be prideful and arrogant? Always thinking I am right...
My first thought should not concern those who I think need it- but just focused one person, and that's me. None of us are as wise as we should or could be. We are all prideful at times, and that was a good reminder to me! 
That was a heart check for me...and I needed it. How often I get caught up in what I think God should be teaching others instead of focusing on what God is teaching me. I am nothing special to brag about- I am in need of God's grace just as much as the person who is in jail, or the person who is a murderer...I need it just as much as any person...we all need it! I read a quote along these lines and I thought was really good. 
"Our worst days are never so bad that we are beyond the reach of God's grace and our best days are never so good that we are beyond the need of God's grace."
It's so true. 
Another thought along those lines...
My sister, Olivia, and I were talking this past week, and the thought came up, what if everyone could read your thoughts? What if they were on display for everyone to see? Would we be ashamed of ourselves? I know I would be at times. Well, God can always see/read our thoughts...it's like we said them when He is standing right next to us. 
Ouch...that really makes you think, doesn't it?! 
God has an aweful lot of work to do on me- it's a good thing He is good at multi-tasking;) 
Until next time, 
Elise

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing unnoticed

Sometimes it seems like life moves very slowly, and other times it seems that it moves very quickly. It seems that the opposite of what I want, happens. If I wish for it to move slowly, it moves quickly, and if I wish it would move quickly, it moves slowly. Nevertheless, the past 5 months have come and gone like a flash. I can hardly believe January is almost over. I realize that there may be very few people who read my blog; perhaps a lot of that has to do with how infrequently I write. ;) But I was thinking about what I might blog about and looking through pictures... I guess it is really the little things that make up a beautiful life. It's the little things everyday that make fond memories. I tend to be so task oriented that I forget to stop and notice the dew drops on the flower, the frost patterns on the window, the unique sunrise... the smiles which are flashed at me every day. And then- suddenly these precious times are gone. It's a new stage of life, the things we

A Child's Reminder

On the way home from church one Sunday, a little girl said to here mom, " Mom, our Sunday school teacher said God is big enough to hold the world in His hands, is that true?" Her mom answered, "Yes, dear." Then the little girl turned to her Daddy, "Daddy, our teacher also said that if we ask Him to, Jesus will live inside us. Is that true too?" "Yes, Honey." Her Daddy nodded. "And God and Jesus are the same person, right?" The little girl added. "Yes, that's right." Her Daddy answered. "Well, if Jesus is so big that He can hold the world in His hand, but He can also live in me, and I am so small, why doesn't He show through?" WOW! If you take that question and think about it differently... Christ should be showing through us! We are broken vessels and His light needs to be shining through our cracks. Think about what that little girl was asking, in a indirect way.  She didn't even realize the trut

Welcome Autumn!

Autumn....it's my favorite season of the year! Colors changing, weather cooling, my birthday, apple cider, pumpkin and apple pies, leaves falling, crisp air, camping, apple butter...so many things I love about Autumn! I love to go walking outside when the leaves are changing colors...when the air is getting crisper. And then, God knew I would love Autumn so much, he gave me a birthday in my favorite season:) So that's a big plus too:) Thank you Lord for such a wonderful season! And also, thinking about my birthday- thank you so much for giving me life! And another day to live. Thank you for Your love and mercy! You are so precious! Teach me to love You more! And that is what Virginia looks like in Autumn...but not until October;) I found these pictures online;) So enjoy your Autumn!  Until next time, Elise